Friday, July 4, 2008

The Affair Continues...

I mentioned yesterday that I thought this obsession started during my Carol Duvall years. But a trip through my jewelry box or my china cabinet will reveal the lie.

My first "nice" piece of grown up jewelry: a Venetian glass lariat.
My first dishes when I moved away from home: Pressed glass in an intricate floral pattern.
My first collection: Glass salt cellars in a myriad of shapes and colors.

No - this affair has been going on for a long, long time.

After my friend Bindy's success, I was chomping at the bit for a class. And couldn't find one. I ended up taking a fusing class and became totally engrossed in that. I still teach fusing to this day.

My health was in total decline thanks to really bad feet. Surgery followed by months in a wheelchair, then a walker, then a cane with tons of physical therapy consumed my days. No sooner had I sort of recovered, my sister was stricken with a reoccurance of breast cancer and the only hospital that could save her was an hour from my home.

And then fate stepped in again and I found myself the owner of the rubber stamp company I had been working for! That definitely took some time away from my glass studies.

Still during all this time, I kept taking classes. And hating my beads. I was terrified to invest so much money in a torch setup if I sucked. And in reality, I think I was afraid of having the gas in my garage. ( I had a barbeque catch on fire one forth of July. ) I was also afraid I would continue to suck no matter what.

And that's the greatest piece of advice I can give. You simply must have a torch and be able to work at it every day. That's the only way to be comfortable playing with fire. It's the only way to get better. Taking a class once a month will never do it!



**************************************

BITACLE.ORG steals content. JESUS GLEZ is a THIEF. If you are reading this post on BITACLE.ORG, you are supporting theft of intellectual property. This post was written and copyrighted by CREEKHIKER, who has not given consent for material to be reproduced. Please visit Holly's Folly Bead Blog to enjoy this content LEGALLY.

If you want to know why this message is at the bottom of every post, read this post.

No comments: