Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What's YOUR Name Again?

This morning, battling insomnia, I decided to check out some of the over 100 fan pages I "like" on Facebook. And once again, I was dumbstruck by how many shops and fan pages give you ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE of who the artist is!!! I find this appalling.

I recently read an article about things a waiter can do to get a larger tip. What was the singular most important thing??? WEAR A NAME TAG! (Or if you work in one of the those fancy establishments, introduce yourself.) DUH!

Isn't it the same with jewelry??? I mean, if I wanted something generic, I'd buy it at Nordies or Macys. But if I'm taking the time to search out something unique, something handmade.... dammit! I want to know a little bit about the person who makes it!

I'm shocked that so many women - let's face it, the majority of us are women - think they can sell online in a handmade market and remain "invisible." It's marketing 101... get your NAME out there. And I'm sure many of you are saying, "my studio name is out there." And in this age of facenotes and mypages... NO, it's simply not enough! Your name doesn't have to be the most prominent thing but, it shouldn't be hard to find.


So just in case - My name is Holly Dare and my studio name is Holly's Folly. I make beads. I also make jewelry but I hate making it. I do it to sell beads. I have a wicked sense of humor and I love playing with size and scale. I love the way glass plays with light and the way silver plays with glass.

No comments: