Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sulfur and Silver

NOTE: My blogs have all been hit by spam bloggers lately and as of this post, all comments will be approved before posting.

Sometimes, when I make a piece of jewelry, the silver that I love suddenly looks garish next to my bead. That was the case with my Art Bead Scene project. When this happens, I love to blacken my silver to make is disappear into the project.

I use chunks of Liver of Sulfur:

I microwave a cup of water for about a minute and drop in one chunk. I stir with a wooden skewer or chopstick.


Here's all my silver bits:

And here they are drying off. I ended up not using them all. As always, the jewelry takes on its own direction as I work.
Publish Post

Check in here tomorrow to see the finished piece.

3 comments:

Mountaindreamers said...

sorry that your were spammed. sort of a violated feeling. I love oxidizing the silver !

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

I love liver of sulfur!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Mountan and Valerie, Thanks for stopping by... I love it too! I think it's magical to put in a shiny piece of silver and have come out all dark and lovely!