Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Presenting TWO DAY Glass Beads!

I don't know what it was about the Fire Divas last bead challenge... (you HAVE VOTED, haven't you??) ...(and surely, you've entered my contest???)... but all the Divas found it... challenging.

Writing with hot glass is no easy task! I made two beads I hated before I made the actual bead I entered... No, you don't get to see that yet and it looks NOTHING like the two I'm showing off here!

With each of these, I made a frit back ground bead and squished it flat for a bigger writing surface. I wrote my chosen words and annealed them... and hated it!

So the next day, I heated the kiln up slowly with the hated bead still inside. I worked a bit and then reintroduced that hated bead into the flame. I heated up the words and scraped the writing off. What I couldn't scrape was melted in and covered with more frit. And what do you do to cover stuff you don't like on a bead? That's right! Surface decoration.  So I added some flowers and annealed it all again and... the beads you are looking at took me two days! Talk about a challenging Challenge! OY!

They are both now on my glass bead site.

13 comments:

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Those are beautiful ...can not wait to see the one your are using!! WElcome to the Promotional Frenzy team.

CalliopeCreations said...

I think discussing the process in making your glass beads is a terrific idea. People have no idea of the time and talent involved in each of these steps.

Welcome. You did a great job.

Michelle said...

Beautiful beads! If only I made jewelry... That may not stop me :)

Charlene said...

Amazing glass beads! So beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

Bella the Bead said...

Welcome to the PF team! These beads are beautiful! You have piqued my interest to see the ones with writing on them!

ElfRenee said...

Oooh, pretty! I love them!

Unknown said...

VERY pretty! I love the colors!

nangatesdesigns said...

So pretty! Welcome to the team!

Crystal said...

Very cool beads!

Kathleen said...

Holly.... love these 2 beads...i;m sure they'll get purchased right away! ;-)

theMayflower said...

wow! absolutely gorgeous!! you're very talented. welcome to the promo frenzy team :)

Tabitha said...

So much work!! But, definitely worth it - they turned out beautifully!

Prodigy Crafts said...

I love those beads!