Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hollow Beads

I became fascinated with hollow focals after taking a Leah Fairbanks class. Hollow beads are fascinating structurally and a challenge to make in the flame....talk about managing your heat control! There's nothing worst than having a bead explode!

Hollow beads are fascinating for other reasons. The way they transmit light and color... and I also love the weight. As a large bead lover, some beads get way too heavy... I've actually bent mandrels working on a large bead! But hollow beads alleviate some of the weight while still giving you a nice, large focal.

And the final cool thing about hollows??? THEY'RE HOLLOW! Which means....you can put stuff in them!

This heart is filled with Swarovski crystals and cubic zirconia! I'm working on another heart in red right now. I'll let you know how it comes out.

See you tomorrow on Holly's Folly Beads.

No comments: