Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Confessions of a Crystal Snob / Contest

I love working with Swarovski crystals... I think they are the perfect compliment to glass. Why Swarovski? Because I'm a crystal snob!

I can spot a Swarovski vs. Czech vs. other brands from table height. I don't even have to pick them up to know. They look more expensive to my eye. (Should I also confess that when they have a t.v. fashion segment "Which one is real? Which is the knockoff?" ...I can spot the knockoff every time. Odd for someone who is not a fashionista!) And I only use Swarovski in my beginning wire wrap classes... I like my students to know what the best looks like. (I also show them the difference between artisan lampwork and commercial glass beads.)

But while my crystal designs are oh so simple...

Usually as accents in my jewelry...


Or sometimes inside a hollow bead with some cubic zirconia...

or sometimes to play up a color in a bead, I secretly long to be one of those jewelry artists that can make crystals SING. The ones who can put shapes and sizes together and the piece just flows... But I am not...so I won't be entering the $1,000 grand prize Swarovski Crystal Elements and Fire Mountain Gems is hosting. The deadline is September 21st. I'm sure the entries will be stunning....SIGH! I can't wait to see...

See you tomorrow here on http://hollysfolly.blogspot.com

No comments: