When I saw such a large group doing it... I thought, Why not??? It might shake me out of my doldrums.
But after a week of thinking about it, choosing colors, dipping mandrels... there was nothing left to do but get started.
Per Heather's instructions I limited myself to six beads a day. I chose to do two of each, reversing the colors each time. Heather suggested working slow...something I'm sooo not good at. For this reason, I chose to work in Bullseye 90 knowing the stiffer glass would slow me down. And my favorite blue of all time is Bullseye - Steel Blue. For a contrast, I choose Nougat.
My first beads were simple donuts with 4 dots. I concentrated on even spacing and volume control to make the dots similar.
Next, I tried six... harder. But I was starting to see possibilities...
My final set was what I named the roller coaster... Great! Now, I'm naming dots! Two dots were placed dead center and one dot in between but on opposite edges. Then I filled in the area in between.
When I was done, I was actually excited. .... Hmmm... can dots be addicting???
I found I couldn't wait to torch the next day... I woke up thinking about that roller coaster... Could 2 look like DNA???
Beads 1 and 2 were DNA or double coasters... getting harder to evenly space and control the placement.
I didn't love the vacant space created when the dots were further apart. So the next two were DNA with eyeballs in the center. I liked those better.
And then I started on stacking dots. Two dots on top of each other.
I'm still so excited about this project even though work has kept me from the torch for a few days now. I have my next two sessions planned out. 24 out of 40 with a plan! My next session with focus on stacking and the one after that will be a take on smiley faces.
I'm really happy I tried this. I can't wait to see all of the beads finished! If you are in a lull of creativity, I heartily recommend this exercise!