Monday, February 15, 2010

Meet the Fire Diva of the Month - Lauren Mazursky

Well, I had hoped to be telling you about the winner of the One World, One Heart Prize today but... I haven't heard from her. So...We improvise.

Our Fire Diva of February is Lauren May Mazursky of Maybeads. I wanted to share Lauren's answers to the 10 Things about Glass Interview with all of you.




What attracted you to glass?

I love the uniqueness of it. I like the fact that no two beads are exactly the same when it comes to artisan-made lampwork beads.


Many glass artists have training in other art mediums. Do you?

Um, none.

Describe the first bead you made that you were really proud of? Are you still proud of it now? (Please send a photo if you have one.)

The first bead I was really proud of was a penguin bead – my kids recognized it as a penguin! That has to be good!


What inspires you?

Cartoons. Animals. My kids come up with some wild ideas, which can be inspiring, or downright ridiculous. I like crazy colors, too.

Do you have a plan when you sit down to torch? Do you sketch beads or have photos around for reference?

No sketches, I can’t draw. Sometimes I have a list of beads I have to finish (if they’re custom beads) or I’d like to make (usually turtles and dogs). But I basically wing it if I’m just making beads to list in my shop.

Photography seems to be a key element for any glass artist. What type of camera / lightbox set up do you use?

I use my husband’s camera, which is a Canon 5D 100mm with a macro lens. We have a light box and there are three lights around it. One on either side and one in the back.



If the issue of finances (i.e. will it sell?) were of no consequence, what would you spend your time making?

Turtles and dogs.


What kind of jewelry do you wear? Everyday vs. out on the town?

I wear my wedding band, a watch and usually earrings. Sometimes I wear a necklace with a bead on it that I made, but not as much as I probably should.
What is the one skill you wish came easier to you?

Scrolling, or anything with stringers or twisties.


What do you love about marketing your business? What’s the hardest part of marketing it?

I actually enjoy marketing online. I’m not much of a salesperson in-person, but I enjoy writing, so I like to promote through my writing. I have a bead blog where I write about lampworking, and I love to promote my fellow fire divas. I love sharing a great find with other people.





Lauren's EtsyLauren's TwitterMayBeads Blog
Maybeads on FlickrMaybead's Facebook Fan Page


All the Fire Divas would have to agree with that. Lauren is always cheering each of us on and promoting our work!


You can read Lauren's first interview HERE and her most recent one HERE. Please check the Fire Divas Blog on 2/22 for the last interview.

No comments: