Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Art Bead Scene Entries April - June 2009

Continuing my trip down memory lane with look at my Art Bead Scene Entries for April, May and June of 2009.

April - Botticelli's Birth of Venus

This painting is the favorite of a very close and well-traveled friend of mine. She has traveled just to see this painting. She has books devoted to this painting. Because of our friendship, it meant a lot to me to get this piece right.
I spent a lot of time making Venus toros (all on sale in my shop)... I was using an irid glass and it just didn't work for what I saw in my head and in the end, I panicked and went in a totally differed (i.e. quick) direction!


Oddly enough, I think this is one of the most commercial looking pieces I've ever made. You can read more about the piece here.

May - Monet's Water Lilies

Ah... another Monet! I do find his works so easy to interpret. Still, this was my first attempt at a waterlily in glass!


I really like the split personality of this necklace as well as the handmade, e-bead clasp. This is my favorite of the spring months by far.
Better pictures of the beads and the story are here.

June - Kandinsky's Color Study of Squares


It was pretty obvious what to do with the beads. I tried to pick colors with good contrast. In the end, I felt the beads were lacking the "square" element so I made hammered squares for the bracelet. This piece won the monthly drawing for the Art Bead Scene. Here is the original post about the bracelet.

Check back tomorrow to see the summer entries.

No comments: