Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tutorial: Fritting the Sides

Have you ever been making a frit bead and just can't get the frit on the sides? This happened to me recently and as it was for a custom order for a Memorial Glass Bead, it had to be perfect!

First the finished bead:

You can see the sides got good coverage...thanks to this technique.

Here's a before photo clearly showing the problem of the missing frit:

To me, all that white makes the bead look unfinished. I've tried scooping it on but my tool gets too hot and if I have an odd shaped bead, rolling is impossible. The simple fix would be to have a rod of the same color frit but, most frit is made of 96 and that's stuff I just don't have in rod form!  But it's still fixable!

  • Take a rod of a similar color and heat it in the flame. You don't need a gather. It just needs to be hot enough for the frit to stick to the rod. 
  • Roll the rod in the same frit you are using for the bead. 
  • Heat and dot the frit in the gap area on your bead. 
  • Don't do a bunch of dots in the same area... you want to spread the color around just as the frit would do. 
  • Make sure you don't run out of frit... keep heating and dipping the rod as needed. 
  •  Once you get the coverage you need, melt in and do your final shaping.


---------------
If you enjoyed this tut and found it useful, please consider supporting the starving artist that wrote it.
My glass beads and tools are here.

My Starbucks account. Click the link and enter my card # 6044305060554270
My Paypal:




Thank you!!! I hope you enjoyed this quick fix!

No comments: