Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Beading - Not Making Beads

I've been a busy beading maniac. So why no new beads??? I haven't been making any! I've been working on my niece's wedding projects and I'm sure in the coming month there will be a slew of wedding posts here. So if you find wedding bling and how to save lots of money on a wedding interesting... do check in!

This is one of our latest projects - a work still in progress. The niece is the only girl with lots of aunties who love and spoil her and she is SO not Bridezilla. She just trusts us! (Silly girl!) Seriously though, her aunties are all very talented and creative and one (our fearless leader) has a background in fashion and graphic design.

Since we may have a limited load in time at the location and we are doing all of the decorating ourselves, we are building vignettes for each of the tables (Candy, Sweethearts, Memorial, Guest check in) and taking pictures and storing everything for one table in a box with the pictures so that any "elves" (i.e. cousins and bridesmaids) that show up to help and look and the photo and set up the table.

This piece is probably going on the candy table as it has such a girly sense of whimsy! We found the ballerina on sale at Ross. It had hideous pink plastic drops with large brass split rings dangling from the skirt.

I removed those and started making heart shaped drops with Swarovski crystals...which got a little complicated. I shape one side of the wire in a swirl, hammer and texture with both side of a chasing hammer, add an 8mm crystal, round the top of the other side of the heart, more hammering, add another crystal and wrap onto the skirt. I quickly decided to do every other loop of the skirt!

 The bestie had these plastic (but adorable) red drops from the cake stand project she did. I added them to every other loop of the skirt in both the large and small sizes.

Finally, I could NOT leave the bodice plain! I'll be filling that in with more Swarkies. I have my work cut out for me!

12 comments:

nangatesdesigns said...

Love your hearts shaped drops!! The ballerina looks beautiful!

Lovely419 said...

This is adorable! I can't wait to see the table set ups!! I'm so lucky to have you guys! I love everything!

KrystalsJewelry said...

awesome!!! great close up pics too!!!

New England Quilter said...

What a fabulous project! Your niece is very lucky to have so many crafty aunties! Best of luck with the wedding preparations!
Amy

Bella the Bead said...

WOW! What a beautiful labor of LOVE!! Your niece must feel very lucky to have so many crafty aunties!!

Mt. Baldy Glassworks said...

I love this. I too am working on a wedding. My son is getting married in May! Good luck and have a blast!

Krystal said...

Very cute ballerina! Adorable item, you are very talented! Best wishes with all the preparation!

Krystal - http://bellystickers.blogspot.com/
Following from promotional frenzy

Linda B said...

Wow, your hearts are beautiful. Hope you post pics from the wedding.

Dee said...

Beautiful! And great photography.

Anonymous said...

Wow! So beautiful! Great work. you're going to be busy :)

petitehermine said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! I love the ruby beads on the black frame!

saraelynch said...

lovely! a great makeover