Yes, I took her class to figure out what I'm doing wrong on big hole beads and to hopefully see how she wraps those delicate filigrana around such big beads! And yes, I learned about that but...Oh so much MORE!
This past week has had me rethinking EVERYTHING I do at the torch:
- The way I sit
- The height of my chair
- The position of my hands
- The amount of glass in my initial gather
- The heat in the mandrel
- How I hold the mandrel
But all of that is just the tip of the iceberg! I've also worked on or learned:
- Patience (definitely missing from my "hot and fast" routine.)
- Why there's more white in a twisty and how make more evenly colored ones
- Dealing with great big gathers of color
- Casing great big gathers
- Getting filigranas to "line up"
- Why my BHBs melted down wonky
- Getting texture lines out of skinny beads
- The key to great puckered ends
- The coolest way ever to close up a hollow
- Getting heat to the core of a big bead
- Stringer control
- The art of reading the glass and getting it to do what I want by understanding what it wants
- Heating large masses evenly
- More patience!
I really cannot recommend Heather's classes enough! If you have a chance, she is a must see teacher!